Thursday, December 13, 2007

Holiday time makes big kids seem not so big.

My coworker Mary Ann loves to refer to the Managing Editors as “the big kids.”

I was thinking about it, and according to rules of proportions; they mathematically are the big kids.

OK, this is my prime those-are-the-big-kids memory. Sitting in the Cheltenham Elementary cafeteria: the older you got, the further you shifted to right side of the room (the less supervised side). I remember being in Kindergarten looking to the other end of the lunchroom, and thinking those fourth graders were overwhelmingly old and huge. And, percentage-wise, they really were. I was 5; they were 10: double my age. The EAs range in age from 22-24. By the Law of Big Kids, our fourth graders are about 44-48: about on target for the ages of our bosses.

Math saves the day yet again.