Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Making decisions is scary. Right you are, New York Times (2/26)

I have 3 potential life paths drawn up. At this point in their theoretical development, the options feel so clear that I could paint a picture of a grassy forest path that comes to a fork. The intersection branches into 3 paths. Each path is an option, and each path has pros and cons, and each path is attractive for its own reason. I have done plenty of work to pencil in the stops and sights to expect on each journey, yet I remain static at the tip of the stem. The second I move in one direction, if I change my mind, I will have to turn around. And to make a mistake and risk wasting precious life time and energy is very frightening. So I hesitate. Continuing to fine tune the details in each path, hoping something unexpectedly beautiful will pop up and simplify my decision. And perhaps this get-all-the-facts(-as-I-stall) method isn’t the worst approach, but sometimes you need to shut some doors.*


*thanks to Wendy for directing me to this delightful reading material.